Sudden death-- is there ever an answer?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hennyetta, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Hennyetta

Hennyetta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    I lost one of my BLRW bantams during the night. [​IMG] Everyone seemed perfectly healthy when I looked in on them before I went to bed, but one was dead this morning. I keep wondering if there's something I missed, or if it was unavoidable. Is there ever an answer in these cases, or is it just one of those things that happens sometimes, and there's nothing to be done? I certainly hope it's not anything that will cause more deaths. I keep checking the chicks this morning, and poking everybody that's sleeping to make sure they're okay. [​IMG] These little cochins are so laid back and docile that it almost worries me and makes me think they're sick, but they're not, they're just really chill. [​IMG]

Of course it had to be one of the bantams that died, instead of the packing peanuts! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The only way to tell is by necropsy, but there are things to look for like lice/mites/worms. There can be sudden death with diseases too but if everyone else is healthy then sometimes you never know unless you get a necropsy done.

I am sorry for your loss. Lice/mites/worms can take a flock down so keep those in mind through the years and your flock will be healthier if you are alert for that.

What I have seen with worms:
    sudden death
    pale/purple combs
    diarrhea (watery)
    thinness
    poo stuck to bottom

what I have seen with mites:
    shaking heads every 5-15 seconds as if trying to get something off necks
    poor feather quality/disheveled look
    tired looking flock
    I was itchy and found bugs on me but not them

Both are treatable.

3. Hennyetta

Jan 29, 2013
    Are these things that would be likely in hatchery chicks that are only a few days old?

4. MontanaDolphin

MontanaDolphin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    I am by far no expert (just started my first batch of chicks ever), but what about what their bedding is? I see on here a LOT that people are using wood shavings as bedding for their babies...I was specifically told by the chicken lady at southern states to NEVER use it for the bedding until the chicks are at least 3 weeks old. I asked her why and she said because the chicks could ingest some, and their tummies are so tiny that the wood will expand and kill them. I am sure it doesn't always happen, but think about it...if the wood expands in their stomachs and they can't pass it through their tiny systems, where can it go? Nowhere.

I've been using newspaper...not shredded...just to be safe, cuz I don't want to take any chances.

5. ChickensAreSweet

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  6. ChickensAreSweet

7. Hennyetta

Jan 29, 2013
    That's okay-- I should have mentioned they were chicks, even though the post is in the chick section! I would have, but didn't think about it.

There's no bloody poo, and they definitely don't look like they've got coccidiosis (we used to have problems with that with our meat birds). I am hoping that's not starting up, anyway. Where can you get Corid?

I am worried about my littlest cochin now, though. It doesn't look completely well. I think I'll start another thread about it.

Thanks!

I'm using Sweet PDZ for their bedding. It is safe for small animals, caged birds, humans, horses, you name it, so I don't think it should be a problem for chicks, unless they're eating it instead of their feed. I watched them very closely when I took the paper towels off that I had on top of the litter at first, and they don't eat it, though, so I think the bedding is fine.

8. ChickensAreSweet

Corid is found at the feed store in the cattle section. Jefferslivestock.com has it too I am pretty sure, or other online poultry places.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by