Sudden death, no blood or wounds, no illness, what happened?!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tanichca, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Today, around 6:30, I went out to the coop and saw little Cricket, the 2 month old Dutch pullet, happily hopping in the food bowl. An hour later, I went out again to get a jacket I left out there and she was dead. No peck marks, no wounds or blood, no broken bones, and no sign of any illness. Her one problem was that her crop has always been on top of her shoulder, not under her neck, which was a genetic issue, and never caused any problems before. Could she have swallowed a small rock, gotten it stuck in her weird crop, and then choked or had her crop burst? There was mud and bits of half-digested food on her beak. That's the only explanation I came up with... Thanks in advance!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Are you able to do a necropsy to check if that is the case? I'm curious to know what happened.. That's so sad [​IMG]

3. ca

ca Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    So sorry, Tanichca! [​IMG]

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    So sorry to hear that this happened. [​IMG]

5. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I did not have the time to do a necropsy. My little brother threw her in the wash, she's probably been eaten by a hawk or coyote by now, and my sprained ankle prevents me from climbing down there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by