Sudden Death of BO

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hiddenchickmama, Jan 2, 2013.

1. hiddenchickmama

hiddenchickmama Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2012
    I just went outside and found my favorite BO laying dead in the middle of the coop. No signs of trauma or anything. She looks like she just laid down and died. Aprox. age was 8 1/2 months. She was my rowdy girl, last one up the ramp when I needed to lock them up and protesting all the way up!

Could changing their feed have anything to do with it? Don't ask me why, but as a 'change' I switched from layer feed to regular scratch. Even made the comment that if they didn't like it or had problems with it, I would go right back. Could that have anything to do with it? Whether or not it did, I'm going to always have that in the back of my mind.

R.I.P. Ruth, first rate Chickie Girl.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Scratch is not enough for them. Its just going to get them fat. It doesn't have any nutrients or proteins. But I dont think she died from it. I would put them back on the layers feed for sure.

3. hiddenchickmama

May 9, 2012
    That was the first thing I told my husband when we found her. I can't risk loosing anyone (I only had 3 to begin with). They didn't seem to like the scratch that much anyway.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I agree with willowbranchfarm. While scratch is not a healthy diet to replace a commercial chicken feed, I would not think that is what caused her sudden death.

5. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  6. hiddenchickmama

May 9, 2012
    She had only been on scratch for 3 days. It's the only change they've had.

I went right out and got their usual feed. Hopefully everyone else will be alright.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  7. Conchis

Conchis Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Georgia
  8. hiddenchickmama

May 9, 2012
    Checked through it and what I used wasn't listed on there. Just seemed so strange that she was fine one day and dead the next. I've switched the other ladies back to their original feed and will just pray for the best.

Thanks for the input.

9. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I'm sorry to hear about your chickie. I'm sure it's wasn't the scratch, although not the best for them, it's certainly not the worst either. We lost one about the same age in the same manner.....fine one day and dead in the coop the next. That's nature. Sometimes these things just happen.

10. emunches

emunches New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    Scratch is generally thought to be good for winter/cold weather but I feed a layer crumble/scratch combination year long with some additional supplements and I have never had a problem. I recently lost two pullets in a span of two days. I found them in the same exact spot of their coop, in the same exact position, they are the same breed, same hatch within minutes apart. Sometimes it is very frustrating. You try to apply investigative principles in trying to come up with a cause of death, but all avenues of possibilities are cut short due to lack of evidence. Unless I perform a necropsy, no Clue! Sometimes this happens. They have appeared to be completely healthy, none of my other birds are showing signs. Very frustrating!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by