sudden death of buff orpington hen... help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladrholman, Aug 5, 2010.

1. ladrholman

ladrholman Songster

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    I came home today and found my favorite chicken dead. She as still warm so I know it was recent and since she was fine and dandy last night it seems it was sudden. She was a 4 and a half month old buff orpington. She was out foraging and acting completely normal last night. I found her laid out, leg outstretched behind her. I have no idea what may have caused her death. It was warm and humid today but she had lots of access to water and shade. She has not showed any sign of illness what so ever. I did loose 2 chickens to coccidosis ( one 4 weeks ago and one a week ago.) they have been treated. Any help would be appreciated. Could there be something in the yard they are getting into? Are there any natural plants etc that could poison them?? We do not use any chemical fertilizers or pesticides. Please help. [​IMG]

2. TXmom

TXmom Songster

So sorry to hear that. [​IMG] Same thing happened to me last summer...my Rhode Island Red pullet was healthy, about 5 months old and had just started laying beautiful little eggs. Then, out of the blue, I peeked into the coop to check on all my girls and she was stretched out dead, but still warm. It was hot and humid, but all seemed OK. She was the only one I lost like that. I assumed it was the heat, but really I can't be sure.

3. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Songster

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Was this BO hen living with the other chicks that died from Cocci?
    If so did you treat all of the hens with Corid?
    I have lost 2 chickens this summer because of the warmer temps outside.

I am so sorry for your loss of you BO hen. It makes me sad to read this. [​IMG]

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Songster

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    I agree, it could have been heat stroke. All chickens are affected differently. So sorry. [​IMG]

5. ladrholman

ladrholman Songster

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Thanks for the thoughts. She was great. Loved to stand by me when I gardened and eat any worms I found. She would often come when called. Yes the chickens all live together, but I also treated them all. She literally had no symptoms. My concern is that she had gotten into something in the yard. A plant or something. She had not even gotten to the point of laying eggs. Poor Geroge... her sister, named her George since she was the most curious... pathetic I know!![​IMG]

My girls: 3 barred rocks, 3 rhode island reds, 3 white columbians, 1 jersey giant, 1 silver laced whydnot, and sadly now only 1 buff orpington

My boys: Planned- 1 americauna, Unplanned- 2 jersey giants, and 1 silkie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by