Sudden death of hen

Penelope59

Chirping
Jun 29, 2022
With a saddened heart, I found one of my 9 month old Rhode Island Red hens deceased in a nesting box. First off, she showed no signs of sickness yesterday. All other hens are in good health. Our run and coop are 100% predator proof with an electric fence with an automatic coop door. I take very good care of my run and coop. I’m a fanatic with cleaning. I’m baffled with what could have had to her. With finding her in the nesting box, could she have had an egg that was bound in her duct? I’m at a lost for words. If this has happened to you with one of your hens, please reach out. I may not ever find out what happened.

Her vent area was pretty wet with fluid when I found her. I’m thinking an impacted egg? No signs of blood though.

Try feeling around inside of her vent for an egg. Push around in between her legs also.

This is not real unusual. It is called sudden death syndrome. They are alive and perfectly fine - and then they are not. A very quick way to go, usually almost no sign of distress.

An old time chicken lady once told me, that she thought it was a genetic defect in the internal organs like the heart. As the bird gets bigger, it is harder for the body to keep up. It is just a genetic failure, nothing you did.

Mrs K

This is not real unusual. It is called sudden death syndrome. They are alive and perfectly fine - and then they are not. A very quick way to go, usually almost no sign of distress.

An old time chicken lady once told me, that she thought it was a genetic defect in the internal organs like the heart. As the bird gets bigger, it is harder for the body to keep up. It is just a genetic failure, nothing you did.

Mrs K
That is very interesting! Never heard that before!

Back
Top Bottom