Sudden death of one year old white silkie

RobinGailWD

In the Brooder
May 18, 2019
Hello,
I have/had 6 chickens in a backyard coop that is well cared for. We are in AZ and having heat advisories (over 100 degrees yesterday).
Anyway, my chickens are all just 1 year old and 2 were silkies.
Yesterday morning all 6 chickens were happily running around the back yard in the AM. I put them back in the coop (they had fresh water) and when I went in the late afternoon, one silkie was in the corner dead.
I'm worried because she is relatively young. Do I need to worry about disease or was it likely the 105 degree weather?
Typically I put out ice water for them to stand in and I forgot yesterday. :(
Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
Sorry you lost your silkie.

What does your coop look like, could you post a picture showing the ventilation etc.?

Sorry you lost your silkie.

What does your coop look like, could you post a picture showing the ventilation etc.?
Thanks. Attached is a picture of the whole coop (they have an attached square run) and the inside where they eat and sleep.
20200603_092712.jpg
20200603_092721.jpg

That looks nice and shady and very well ventilated.

When did you last deworm your chickens? And did you inspect her for poultry mites?

That looks nice and shady and very well ventilated.

When did you last deworm your chickens? And did you inspect her for poultry mites?
I have never dewormed them. I did check them for mites. It doesn't appear that they have any. They do have ants in their coop frequently.

I suppose that living in AZ there might be some poisonous vermin i.e. spiders, scorpions or snakes around that might hide under the coop and come up occasionally...

Back
Top Bottom