Sudden Death of White Rock Pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AthamGI, Jul 25, 2010.

1. AthamGI

AthamGI Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    This has NOT been a good chicken year for me, from fox massacres to strange deaths. Yesterday, I noticed that one of my two White Rock pullets, "Mildred", was acting very strange. She was just standing with her eyes closed, while her sisters were running around the yard. She herself had been fine just hours before, so I thought she might have just been tired. She was interested in food and water, so I thought it might have just been a passing thing.

Well, I went to take care of my birds today, and I found her dead. She was nearly five months of age, had not started laying yet, and there were no symptoms aside from the tiredness displayed on the previous day.

It's really, really hot in CT, with temperatures in the 90s, but my chickens are in the shade, and ALWAYS have water. Does anyone know what might have killed her?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It could have been any number of things. Without having a necropsy done you will likely never know what killed her. Guessing won't help. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by