1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sudden Death or White Female Silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kzims, Jan 24, 2014.

1. kzims

kzims Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    Hey all,

Just been saddened by the sudden death of my white silkie. She was a good layer and laid an egg a night earlier. I had it for a week and seemed quite active and healthy. I gave her feed in the morning and she looked fine.

When i returned home from work I found her dead in the corner. I was shocked and sad. I kept her coop well covered from wind and cold and had a bulb hanging in the corner as well.

I am quite surprised by the sudden death when she was fine till like 3 4 hours back.

Now I have her rooster alone. I have heard silkies are very sensitive and they do not tend to accept the new surroundings easily. Is that true?

Now I fear that her rooster might die as well due to being alone.

Any feedback on why do u guys feel she died?

2. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

well they do get used to new envoriment an tht shouldnt be the cause. they cant survive cold so easlily. was the bulb near to the chickens in any cance oftouching the chicken?

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi I raise silkies myself. I don't think a change of environment is what killed her. I get silkies shipped to me often and they fare quite well. I even had them come from over 1,000 miles away in shipping and they have been just fine.she likely had a illness or defect when you bought her.chickens are very very good at hiding illnesses. This could have been what happened here with your bird. As for what illness or defect she had its impossible to guess without knowing prior symptoms if she had any..The possibilities are too vast to guess.sometimes sudden death happens sadly. The ONLY way to know for certain is to send her body off for testing.im so very sorry for your loss.as for the rooster get him a new mate and he should be fine! I wish I could give you more help and reasons but like I said without prior symptoms it's really impossible to know without some clues. Silkies can be more susceptible to certain things like wry neck but that certainly has symptoms. Like I said it's likely she had a illness or defect before you bought her.have you talked to her breeder about what happened? Again I'm very sorry for your loss and I hope this helps a bit.i wish you the very best.God bless.

4. kzims

kzims Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    Thanks guys this remains a mystery to me as I have been raising chickens and have seen deaths but this was the most unusual. She did not even give a chance and showed even slightest of illness.

Anyways the weather here is not that cold in the coastal areas of Pakistan/Karachi but it does get windy but for which I have ample cover.

Anyone has a suggestion on should I be vaccinating my other birds now? like a terramycein course for 3 days?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by