"Sudden" death -- treat others with Corid?? HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RoseCassFarm, Feb 26, 2014.

1. RoseCassFarm

RoseCassFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    Connecticut
    Please bear with me, I really need some advice. There's a lengthy back story, but if necessary, please skip ahead to the end and let me know what you think.

Let me preface this by saying that my chickens are my pets and not a source of food for us, so culling them just isn't something I'm willing/able to do.

I have eleven month old chickens -- two Buff Orps and three EE's.

Two weeks before Christmas we had our first ice/snow storm. The girls refused to come outside and spent the day "cooped up." The next day when I let them out I saw that one of my Buff Orps, Nugget, was limping. She was the top hen at the time -- always the first out of the coop, bullying others for food; a real busy body; she was never happy with her treat if she saw that someone else was getting something -- she'd run from hen to hen, stealing their snacks.

The morning that I brought her in, my other BO, Jojo, who was always the bottom most chickie, came over and pecked me hard enough to break the skin. I chalked it up to a different jacket I was wearing and thought she was just pecking for some food (I now realize that wasn't the case.)

I brought Nugget inside. The first couple of days she was a bit lethargic and iffy about food. She couldn't bear much weight on one leg. She was panting a lot. I gave her a bath in Epsom salt and then gave her some pain medication and had to give her water via syringe because she just wasn't drinking enough on her own. After a couple of days of this, she perked up on her own and started to eat and drink again on her own. After about two weeks, she was acting like her old self and started laying again. I brought in one of my other hens, Ethel, with the hope that putting them out together might make the transition easier for the rest of the girls. When I brought Ethel in, they saw each other outside of the hospital cage first and duked it out over some corn. Nugget won that battle and they spent the night together in the hospital cage with Nugget as the boss.

When I put them outside the next morning, Jojo rushed over and attacked her immediately. Even after Nugget was submissive, Jojo just wouldn't leave her alone. She attacked her over and over again.

The first few nights, I found her crouching outside after dark. Either she was confused or had been banned from coming into the coop with the rest, I don't know which. After about a week, she seemed to return to normal, although she was still bullied by Jojo quite a bit.

After the first time in the house, she really took to me; previously being a very independent hen (probably because she was at the top of the pecking order), she was very cuddly all of a sudden; she'd rush over to me when I let them out.

The beginning of February I went to let them out and noticed that she hadn't come out, which was unusual as she had gone back to being the first one out of the coop in the morning. When I went to check on her, she couldn't really bear weight on either leg. I let her stay in the coop for a few days because I didn't want to repeat the previous bullying session upon reintroduction. When I realized she couldn't move from food to water, I took her in.

Another Epsom bath and hospital cage. She went from both legs being iffy to just one and then back to normal in the span of three days.

We were slammed by storm after storm just then. I didn't want to put her in the coop without the escape option of the run (because they refused to come out in snow and the extreme cold) so I kept her inside. She was eating, drinking, and laying eggs without incident. She was acting completely normal.

On Saturday of this week, it was mild out and they were finally in the run again. I brought in a friend, Bob (a girl), for transition...but they practically ripped each other's feathers out, Nugget being much tougher than Bob. I decided she must be tough enough to just go straight out so I bit the bullet and went for it. Jojo attacked her, as expected, but she was okay.

Next morning I found her with a pretty good nip to her comb that was bleeding a bit. Brought her and Lucy (smaller EE) in for a quick treatment. They got along great. Ate food and drank water happily together. Nugget followed me around the house, chased the cat, and was super social and happy. I treated her wounds with soap and water, diluted iodine, and blu-kote. Put them back out that afternoon. More bullying by Jojo but nothing new.

Monday she came out with the rest. She hid from Jojo under a roost I'd built outside with cinderblocks standing on end and wood posts. She was crouched on snow and ice. That night I went to check her in the coop. The rest of the girls were on the roost and she was in the nesting box. I checked underneath her and took out the eggs that were in there. Her belly was a bit wet but she seemed okay. I assumed she hadn't been in to lay that day or just found that spot cozy.

Yesterday morning when I let them out, she was still inside running around with Bob or Ethel chasing her around. Didn't think anything of it. I kept checking out the window for her but didn't really see her running around. I thought she might be hanging out inside. The day ended up being stressful with family issues so I didn't have the chance to check further. I asked my husband to check on her around 5:30 as I was leaving for work and got a call an hour later that he'd found her dead outside under the roost in some blood.

When I came home and looked at her it appeared that she'd bled out from her vent. She wasn't egg bound so I just don't understand what happened. I'm not about to perform any sort of necropsy -- I don't have the stomach or the heart for it. I know that its possible that even with a necropsy I might not figure out what happened. From what I saw, her poop was normal, she was eating and drinking well, no blood present at any other time. I'd read another person's post that mentioned that their hen bled out and they found a tumor on her liver, while another said their hen bled out and they found nothing. Should I treat the other hens with Corid just in case this was Cocci, or would that be unnecessary/dangerous? No one else has presented with any other symptoms and I feel like her treatment from Jojo signals that perhaps the other hens knew something wasn't right with her all along; especially given that she was previously so tough and the top hen, it seems odd that she'd remain at the bottom without a bigger fight.

Any thoughts would be immensely appreciated.

2. RoseCassFarm

Mar 23, 2013
    Connecticut
    I should mention that they were all vaccinated for Marek's as chicks.

3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    She could have had a broken egg inside her, a prolapse vent, chickens will peck them to death.

4. RoseCassFarm

Mar 23, 2013
    Connecticut
    I've gone out and had a better look in the daylight - theres blood but not a puddle - more a small spot of it. Her vent is bloody but not profusely bloody. I can't really tell what happened. One hen has a little bit of blood on her head, but not a ton. From what I can see, she was hiding under the roost first, bled more there, then moved to a second spot where she died. I can't really see how they would have gotten to her vent with the way I'd seen her laying in the first spot - her backside was usually against the fence. It looks more like the hen mustve been nosy after nugget died. My husband told me he found her under a little shelter I made - there was more blood in the first spot so it looks like she was there and then moved and died in the second spot. Am I making any sense? Trying to type this with small children noises in the background, lol

5. RoseCassFarm

Mar 23, 2013
    Connecticut
    Could it have been cocci? Should I treat the others?

6. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I would say the birds got her. They are like that, they see blood and go after them.

7. RoseCassFarm

Mar 23, 2013
    Connecticut
    He vent hadn't prolapsed though

8. RoseCassFarm

Mar 23, 2013
    Connecticut
    Whoops - her

9. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I had a hen her soft egg broken in her and came out with blood, birds went after the broken egg and her. Pecked her vent.

10. RoseCassFarm

Mar 23, 2013
    Connecticut
    Did she die from that? She wasn't torn apart or anything - it didn't apear as though she had any external wounds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by