sudden death,what was it and should i be worried about the others?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by countrygirl36, Nov 22, 2012.

1. countrygirl36

countrygirl36 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    this morning i went out to give the chickens some food and extra snacks as it is thanksgiving,my buff orpington usually comes running as soon as she hears me call her but when she didnt come i knew something wasnt right,so i peeked in the coop.She died while laying in her nest box,her eyes were closed and everything.She had been losing a bit of weight and she looked a bit ragged,i was worried so i talked to my grandpa who has alot of chicken experience,he said she was just molting so i didnt bother her but i did give her more food to try and help her gain weight.It is cold here around this time of year could that have anything to do with it?Any ideas what happened to her and should i be worried about the rest of the flock?It is a pretty small flock and i care about all of my birds,and i would hate to lose anybody else!

2. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Maybe she was egg bound? Do you still have her? Could you feel her abdomen for a bulge or anything abnormal? What kind of symptoms was she showing if any, other than weight loss. What she lethargic or anything like that?

3. countrygirl36

countrygirl36 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    i did consider that but she had no lumps or anything in her abdomen,she wasnt lethergic or anything,just weight loss and she started to look a bit ragged.Like a chicken that is molting.Thats about it she was as happy and energetic as she had always been up until yesterday she kept going in and out of the coop when she usually just runs around the yard,and then this morning when i found her in her nest box...

4. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Hmm. It could be any number of things then, I guess. I'm sorry I can't be of much help. Sorry you lost her. [​IMG]Maybe you should give you other girls come apple cider vinegar or electrolytes in their water to give them a bit of a boost. I wouldn't worry about anything else unless they show symptoms.

5. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Sorry to hear about your hen. I would check everyone for mites/lices and deworm if their overdue..

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry....Sometimes chickens just die, for unknown reasons....she could have had a heart attack from laying or other issues. With the weight loss I wonder if worms could be a possibility. Have they been wormed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by