1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sudden Death?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrazyConure, Sep 1, 2015.

1. CrazyConure

CrazyConure Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2014
    I have had several chickens die off over the last several weeks and I'm at a loss.

The first one wasn't vaccinated for Marek's, and I believe that's exactly what got her. She was a White Leghorn and died at approximately 9 months after she stopped laying a month prior. She stopped eating, drinking, walked with a limp for a short time, lost the limp, went blind, couldn't keep her balance to stand or walk, and died within hours of loss of balance.

The second was a Delaware, a few weeks ago, when it was 118* for two days in a row. She laid consistently and did so the day she died. I found her in the late afternoon. No injuries, no blood, just dead. She was about 7 or 8 months. Vaccinated as a day old chick for Marek's.

Today, I just discovered my Buff Orpington. It appears she just dropped straight off her roost in the coop. She was also about 8 months. No signs of illness or injury yesterday, she laid yesterday, no blood on her body now. Vaccinated as a day old chick for Marek's. Was hot a few days ago, around 110*, but it's been cooler the last few days (mid-low 90's).

I'm at an absolute loss. Any ideas?

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Very sorry to hear of your losses.

With the temps so hot, dehydration could be a factor.

Have you checked everyone over for mites and lice?

When was the last time you wormed your flock?

What part of the country are you in? I hate to mention "bird flu," but with multiple sudden deaths, it's a possibility.

Anyone sneezing, wheezing, coughing, or have a "runny nose?" Any changes in poops? Anyone going off food or water? Seeing anyone hunched, puffed, or lethargic?

MrsB

3. CrazyConure

Oct 25, 2014

4. CrazyConure

Oct 25, 2014
    Taken on August 20, 2015.

[​IMG]

5. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Your picture looks like a normal cecal poop. Have you seen any blood in their poops, outside of "coral" urates?

I might start by running Corid through their water. Coccidiosis is a nasty protozoa thing that destroys the lining of a chicken's intestine and basically starves them to death. Do you feel like any of your birds are losing weight? If you pick one up, can you feel her keel bone (sternum) protruding more than normal?

Corid is available at Tractor Supply and most feed stores. It comes in a 20% powder and a 9.6% liquid. It says for cattle, but it has off-label use in chickens.

Dosage:

1.5 teaspoons (NO LESS) per gallon of water for 20% powder.
    2 teaspoons per gallon of water for 9.6% liquid.

Treat for 5-7 days. Make sure this is the ONLY water they can access during treatment (to the best of your ability... I know chickens are pros at finding random mud puddles to drink from).

After treatment, put some vitamin powder in their water to give them a boost and help them replenish.

I hope you see improvement after that.

If not, I would continue with a chemical wormer. DE is a great product, but become inert when wet (aka inside a chicken).

Let us know if you see any improvement with the Corid. It's easy and gentle on their systems. :)

Keep us posted!!

MrsB

6. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
  7. CrazyConure

Oct 25, 2014
    No blood in poop or anywhere else.

I will pick some Corid up right away. Are the eggs ok to eat during treatment? If not, how long afterward do we have to wait until they're safe again?

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  8. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I eat them during treatment and have never had a problem. Your mileage may vary. I believe there is a one-day withdrawal period from the last dose.

MrsB

9. mcbrown7513

mcbrown7513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2015
    Southern Mississippi
    One Cinnamon Queen hen I had just died this morning. 2days ago she was fine. She suddenly stopped eating and drinking. She always stayed near the coop. Thinking she had a genetic issue. She would only lay on her left side. Just hard losing a chicken being so new to raising them.

10. CrazyConure

Oct 25, 2014
    @MrsBrooke I treated for Cocci as you recommended, and haven't lost anyone else. No loss or slow down of egg production either. I have a RIR who looks a bit skinny, and her feathers are a bit damaged, but she is our Barred Rock roo's favorite.

@mcbrown7513 So sorry to hear that! When we moved out here and started getting animals, I had to explain to my kids that while losing animals is sad, it is a part of raising animals and farming. Despite your best efforts, some animals will insist on dying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by