Sudden death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Honora, May 15, 2016.

1. Honora

Honora Songster

Mar 30, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Just found a hen this morning who suddenly dropped dead with no sign of illness. She was just over a year old and seemed totally healthy. The only thing I have noticed in the flock lately is some loose stools, but my husband has been feeding them a lot of table scraps so I thought maybe it was just something they ate. I have been giving them yogurt and ACV in the water for the last week and it seemed to have helped. Now I am thinking maybe I should worm them...They have never been wormed.

I know I should send it in for a necropsy but unfortunately I have too much other stuff going on & won't be able to. Any advice?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A lot of things can cause sudden death. Chickens are very good at hiding illness.
    I understand being busy but just be ready to send one in should you lose another. I believe in CA, necropsy is free and if you call them and ask for their FedEx number you can overnight it that way.
    You may want to have a fecal sample read for worms. I'm probably in the minority but I usually don't worm chickens. I think I've only wormed about 4 in my lifetime.
    I had a rooster drop dead within minutes of dancing around for the hens. I sent him in and it turns out he had a heart attack.
    Other possibilities:
    Lymphoid leucosis
    Botulism
    Gout
    Marek's
    Campylobacteriosis
    Colibacillosis

Less common possibilities are:
    Aflatoxicosis
    Buecomb
    Fatty Liver
    Streptococcosis
    Malaria
    Cholera
    Erysipelas
    Influenza
    Listeriosis
    Choking
    Pesticide poisoning
    Anaphylactic shock
    Newcastle

As you can see, trying to guess why a bird suddenly drops dead is virtually impossible.

3. Honora

Honora Songster

Mar 30, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it will just be a mystery, but if another dies I definitely will send it in. Crossing my fingers that it is not something contagious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by