Sudden death

dac550

Hatching
Nov 19, 2015
Today after work around 1:30, I opened my coop because it was getting warm out. It was cooler in the coop than it was outside, and there was plenty of food and enough water to last a few more hours. When I opened the coop I noted one of my 1 year old hens laying on her right side dead. It was so sudden. She was laying yesterday and seemed healthy. I was short an egg today so I don't know if she died this moring or later in the day. Any help would be nice pease. These were my first chikens and my little children.

Today after work around 1:30, I opened my coop because it was getting warm out. It was cooler in the coop than it was outside, and there was plenty of food and enough water to last a few more hours. When I opened the coop I noted one of my 1 year old hens laying on her right side dead. It was so sudden. She was laying yesterday and seemed healthy. I was short an egg today so I don't know if she died this moring or later in the day. Any help would be nice pease. These were my first chikens and my little children.

Welcome to BYC.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately there is no way to know what happened without doing a necropsy.

You can often send it to a lab for a necropsy if you refrigerate and send it many states have a free lab, and the one in CA does it even for other state residents.
Was she egg bound?

Back
Top Bottom