Sudden Death ;-;

TenderTender

Hatching
Aug 21, 2020
New here and sorry this had to be my first post. I’m really distraught right now and I’m trying to rationalize what happened and wondered if anyone here had this kinda thing happen.

Earlier today saw that my four month old rooster silkie had been pooped on *he sleeps under the perches sometimes* So of course I wanted to give him a bath. Got out two plastic containers of warm water, one for shampoo and water, one for rinsing.

He got bathed and he struggled and his head dipped under the water once for less then a second. Finished him up and wrapped him in a towel and his eyes were wide open and his mouth was open. Within just thirty seconds while I was drying him in the sun his head flipped to the side, his wings flapped hard and fast, and he died.

What in the heck happened!? ;-; I feel awful the poor thing basically died in my hands! I have even given him a bath before when he was a chick and nothing happened that time! Did he aspirate and drown? He didn’t make any choking or coughing noises. He went from alive to limp in less then a minute. His eyes were wide open and a few seconds after he went a red liquid oozed from his mouth.

Now I’m in sorta shock and I’m terrified of ever giving a chicken a bath again. Sorry to bother you guys with all this horror but I’m really upset and worried if I’m gonna have a complete breakdown if I have to cull a chicken eventually or a predator gets one of my girls.

It does sound like he drowned :( I'm so sorry for your loss. It happened to me once with one of my 2 day old chicks and the water dish....I tried to resuscitate like a mad woman to no avail. I was really bothered as I know you are. It's not our fault, it's a learning experience.

Back
Top Bottom