sudden death

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cat, May 17, 2009.

1. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Has anyone else had a chicken that appears to be perfectly fine go in to lay and die?

I thought maybe my little brahma hen had gone broody when she sat in the nest all day but when I went in to put them to bed she had died.

She seemed perfectly healthy and happy all morning. I am so angry with myself for not going and checking on her sooner, but she didn't have any symptoms of illness.

Is there anything I should have been looking out for you think I may have missed?

Also does anyone have any advice for what to do with her flock mate - she is a little silkie at the very bottom of the pecking order and her Brahma friend always protected her and they slept cuddled up together in the nest box. Should I buy another Silkie as company for her?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sorry you lost your chicken.

And Yes this has happened to me a couple times. Just found dead-no symptoms beforehand at all.

Imp

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hi Cat, I'm sorry for your loss. I just lost a little dark brahma hen too. With my hen it was almost certainly a heart attack. I know she wasn't eggbound.
    In your case though I wonder if she was egg bound, thus the reason she was sitting on the nest all day, trying to pass it.
    Again, sorry. [​IMG]
    ETA: If you can get your little silkie another silkie friend I'll bet she'd appreciate it. Remember to quarantine unless you are buying a day old from a commercial hatchery.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  4. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    Sorry for your loss. But I did get a chuckle out of your title. On the main page it says "sudden death - by cat"

Cheri

5. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Quote:oops! [​IMG]

thanks everyone for your comments, I am going to watch my little silkie and see how she copes without her friend and if she doesn't settle I will go get her a friend to hang out with.

I find silkies are very gentle and easily intimidated by some of the other buff hooligans and marrans I have so I would probably get her a silkie friend.

6. notapandabear13

notapandabear13 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    Michigan
    or try getting another docile one at a young age and keep em togeather for a while then reintroduce em togeather.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I had some 8 month old pullets in my flock that seemed fine. One day I went out in the morning and gave the birds some treats and everything seemed fine. I went out about an hour later and found one of the pullets dead next to the fence. I have an electric fence so it wasn't a predator. I think heart attack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by