Sudden Death

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MMSwilling, May 17, 2010.

1. MMSwilling

MMSwilling New Egg

May 17, 2010
    Heath Springs
    I have a variety of baby chicks and baby turkeys....and this is our third hatched batch and for some reason on this batch we have been suddenly losing our baby chicks and we're unsure why....example...we have 2 two week old golden seabrights and they seemed perfectly find around 11pm tonight jumping around eating and drinking....then around 12ish we found 1 stiff and dead all of a sudden and this is not the first one this week we've had do this and i really seem to think that maybe one chick had something and could of possibly gave it to some of the other...i could really use some support of someone that may have had similar experience.....or ideas that it could possibly be...our brooders are sanitary and fresh water and feed in clean bowl everyday...the brooder is cleaned out everyday sometimes twice a day....i just wish i had some idea close to why i am suddenly losing chicks and quite a few in a small period of time

thanks so much for you support and experiences

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I'm sorry, I don't know what could be causing this problem. However, for what it's worth, my chicken mentor who has 20 years experience with poultry told me that Sebrights can be very difficult to raise. They're not the hardiest of birds. He decided not to keep the breed for that reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by