sudden death..?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Fraoch21, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Fraoch21

Fraoch21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    i had 5 tuxedo and 2 brown quail, about 6 weeks old, that i was acclimatising to put outside. They had been outside all day for maybe a week, but this morning my dad found one dead? im just going to go out and see if it hurt itself or anything but i dont see why it would die? and it has been reeally quite warm here aswel

2. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    ok just had a look at her, i cant see anything other than her feet were curled up even though she must have been standing up when she died and she was absolutly skin and bone, extremely skinny. I had picked her up over a week ago and she was fine then i couldnt feel the bones the same as i can now. So i dont know how she got so starved? the 7 of them were in a 4 foot by 2 foot run and a small hut to sleep in, it was easy enough to find the food and the others coped fine?

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Sounds like your birds are on the ground? A lot of things can make a bird go off feed. They are very good at hiding distress too. It seems sometimes they just die..., Good luck with the rest of your birds... Bill

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'm so very sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

5. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    thank you, yes they are kept on the ground, i hae keeping them on wire mesh cause its natural for them to be kept in long grass and that. Whne they're big enough they are going in with my 2 adults that are in a big run with a hutch(that they never use) with long grass and branches, i just let the grass grow, the quail love scuttling through it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by