1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sudden Death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Willie, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Willie

Willie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2010
    Spring brook Pa.
    I have found chickens dead in their coop the last few days, But The first one I found was about 4 months ago when I found my silkie rooster dead. Then again about 3 weeks ago I found a 6 week old that just died, Then yesterday I found 2 more dead which is about 12 weeks old and found 2 more this morning dead.. And all of these chickens was doing fine the day before. The 2 that I found this morning was vaccinated at the Hatchery which was about 12 weeks old also.. I just don't know what to look for at this point .. I am hoping someone who has had the same problem can help point me in the right direction

2. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    Could any kind of predator be getting in? Are there signs of struggle? What kind of snakes do you have there? How about vampire bats?

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Wow, I'm so sorry.

Is someone poisoning them? Maybe they are eating a moldy substance in the coop?

This is not normal and I hope someone can help.

4. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    What about spiders - black widow or brown recluse? Have you seen blood in their poo?
    I'm really sorry - that's a heartbreaker.

5. Willie

Willie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2010
    Spring brook Pa.
    We just moved them to a different coop yesterday that they was in the day before that the other 2 died in, After it was cleaned well.. I looked them over but didn't see anything strange. I have no black widows, vampire bats here in NE Pa. And found no signs of struggle. The last 2 was my NAKED NECK TURKENS that I just got this past june from a Hatchery. At first I was thinking it was my Guineas doing something to them but I had my Guineas locked up yesterday as they was always picking on my smaller chickens

6. nizar

nizar Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    I heard that feed salt make sudden death.

7. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    I heard that feed salt make sudden death.

Pardon?[​IMG]

Sorry about your chickens...[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by