Sudden Death

mbicky

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 7, 2013

mbicky

Today at 10:44 am
I have two hens in a coop and they're both one year old's. I live in the North East the temp here has been below zero degrees lately. (5 - 28)
Both hens seemed to be quite healthy. This morning I found one hen dead upon the floor. The other hen had just laid an egg and was perfectly fine. Does anybody have an idea how she might have died? There's plenty of water and food, the temp in the coop is around 30 - 35.

Thanks

HI there,
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

Without more info, it is hard to say what killed your hen. If she was weak from something, the cold may have kicked her over the edge. Internal or external bugs may have caused a decline in health. A bacterial or viral infection as well. Being egg bound or even a sudden heart attack can cause death on the perch. If you are really curious, you can put the freshly dead hen in a plastic bag and put her in the frig, (not freezer) and have your vet do a necropsy on her to find the cause of death.

So sorry for your loss, but it is great to have you aboard BYC!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us! I'm sorry for the loss of your hens. I would suspect a heart attack, or being egg bound.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. Sorry for the loss of your hen! Many things, including trouble laying eggs, heart attacks, and weakness can cause birds to die suddenly.

Back
Top Bottom