Sudden death

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ren2014, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    I just checked on my 3 wk old chicks and found one dead. All were fine about 2 hrs ago. I didn't find anything visible, butt clean and no sign of trauma. They are all in a brooder that I've been having difficulty keeping at a steady temp. I have no idea what went wrong. Any thoughts or things I should look for? Thank you.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Sometimes it just happens and you don't know why. Maybe it wasn't meant to live. At 3 weeks old, I think they can deal with some fluctuation in temperatures.

3. Ren2014

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Thank you. I'm worried now for the others but can only hope for the best.

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

check for

1. clean full waterer

2. clean full feeders of a size that they can eat out of easily

3. listen to their peeping to determine temperature. At three weeks they shouldn't be super sensitive to temperatures, but it is still important.

4. Any pets or kids get in with the chicks? Kids and pets will easily and quickly kill chicks.

5. If the top 4 can all be checked off your list, and there is no bloody poop or other sign of illness, then I would decide that that chick just wasn't as healthy as the rest, and it was good that it died now instead of being unthrifty and problematic later.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  5. Ren2014

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Top 4 all checked. No signs of illness. I'm trying to accept that it was just not meant to be and I'll never know the cause. Thank you.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What do you mean by having a hard time with the brooder? Do they have access to a cool temp, completely out from under the heat lamp? At 3 weeks, they should be well able to spend several hours at room temperature, even going without the lamp.

7. Ren2014

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    I can't keep the temperature at a steady degrees. The brooder is set up inside a chicken coop in our carport. The temperature fluctuates with the outside temp. Our temperatures here have been 20's night time and 60's - 70's day time. It ranges from 70 to 90 at times in the brooder. The little guy was on the edge of the brooder when I found him. They can get away from the lamp but maybe not far enough now that I think about it. Could he have gotten too hot??

8. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    You said brooder temp gets up to 90. Has it been higher than that? A temp of 70-90 at three weeks old is fine, as long as they have water, and it doesn't reach that 20 degrees at night.

9. Ren2014

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    It did get higher a few times. They are much more active at the lower temps. Is that a good or bad thing? Thank you.

10. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    I've had an extremely difficult time with heat lamps. I've had heat lamps go way down in temperature and way up over 120 degrees. I got an echoglow brooder that works great for in the house. I have an old dinosaur brooder for outside. Anyway, I know most people want a cheep source of heat and heat lamps provide that. Heat lamps very a great deal at times. If a heat lamp starts whacking out with the temperature, check the light and the ceramic thingy to make sure you do not have a fire hazard on your hand.

For night you might want to put a box in the brooder for the chicks to sleep in if it gets cold. They can pileup in the box and share body heat.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by