Sudden death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AwlOrganikLizz, Dec 20, 2014.

1. AwlOrganikLizz

AwlOrganikLizz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    Hello... very sad morning for me. My sweetest, most loving little hen passed away unexpectedly. She was a black silkie, vaccinated, VERY LITTLE. Almost like she never grew or matured passed 5 months. But otherwise, a healthy little chicken. Ate, drank, got along with the big birds, just like any other chicken. No symptoms. This morning I found her under the roost, laying in poo. Lethargic, she couldn't stand, and she was panting. No visible injuries. I picked her up immediately and tried to help her, but as soon as I got the cage set up inside with warmth, food and water... she passed away in my arms. I'm very sad, all my other birds are healthy, happy, and spunky. Anyone have any clues? Any advice? Should I be concerned about my other birds? Thank you for any help. She's buried now so I can't do any further examining.

[​IMG]

2. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

3. LittleRedCoop53

LittleRedCoop53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    could she have been egg bound? had she been laying? how old was she?

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

So sorry for your loss.

Do your do routine worming?

5. LittleRedCoop53

Oct 20, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    can worms do that ? wouldn't you kinda notice weight loss etc.?

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Depends on what type of worm they may have. There are MANY different types of worms that inhabit just as many different organs in the body, causing just as many different ailments. I am going to assume that your hens have never been wormed......

1 person likes this.
  7. AwlOrganikLizz

AwlOrganikLizz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    Hello everyone thank you for your replies. I had never gotten an egg from her, she was 8/9 months old. Sooooo.... maybe? Her first egg came along and it was too much for her, perhaps? Because of her size I wasn't expecting eggs for quite some time. If ever? She was so little, her body could fit in my palm. However, not skinny. Just a tiny little thing. She was never active like my other birds, ya know, the hens are always running, jumping, flying, attacking mommy for treats, Boots was always in the background. She was so sweet, she wasn't bullied and the other girls never kept her from eating.... even if they did, she was always after the alfalfa in the barn.

Do some wormers fail??? Can someone direct me to a good dewormer?

Since she was so little, anyone think she was just doomed from the start?

8. LittleRedCoop53

Oct 20, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    No, i worm my chickens more as a preventive(while they aren't laying)both with DE(heard this really doesn't work) and Medicated poultry dewormer.
    i just didn't think worms could cause sudden death...with out some sign, but you are right there are different types of worms and they do go for different organs. That's why i joined this forum...i've gotten so many helpful idea and i ask questions some times i probable could answer myself....but i swear i do learn something new every time i jump on here :)

9. LittleRedCoop53

Oct 20, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]These two are hatch mates.... i too had the tiniest baby silkie. It was like she wasn't growing, i started keeping her separate during the day... i made the mistake of letting her be with her mom and sibling with out watching for maybe 15 minutes and she got squished ..it happened so fast. :( i wonder if she too would have be a miniature silkie if she would have made it. It sounds to me like she was egg bound....? so sorry for your loss :(
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by