Sudden deaths, please help, need advice/ opinions :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Starseed, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Starseed

Starseed Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2016
    California
    Hello all. I'm raising chickens for the first time and had a couple of deaths this week. If anyone has some insight to share, I'd really appreciate it.

My chickens are approximately 3 months old right now. I found one of my Ameracauna pullets standing lethargic in the coop a few evenings ago. Eyes closed, short gasping breaths. Kind of raspy breathing. I didn't know what to do, so I treated for sour crop (induced vomiting, gave her apple cider vinegar), but the next morning I found her dead.

I figured it was an isolated incident, but one or two evenings later, I found my Cochin pullet dead in the coop. No sign of external damage. She had been acting fine that very morning, following me around in hopes a treat. [​IMG]

I have an extremely mixed flock and got chicks from quite a few different sources. I did have some losses from Coccidiosis, but I've been treating with Corid in their water-- treat for 4 days, give them a couple weeks break, treat for 4 more days, to try to get them to develop immunity. I haven't vaccinated for anything.

Hoping to gain information to prevent any more deaths. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by