Sudden Deaths?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ejcimd, May 11, 2011.

1. ejcimd

ejcimd Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Maine
    One rooster died sometime overnight on Friday to Saturday. Was fine on Thursday and Friday morning then Friday evening moved slowly, sort of held his wings out slightly and was dead on Saturday morning. Noticed the same symptoms begin on Tuesday morning; by Tuesday evening he was also holding out his wings and behaving calm and listless, Wednesday morning also dead.

I have moved the hens that were with these two into a different cage with new water and feed bowls as of this morning. Noticed their droppings were a brownish goop instead of the nice whitish lumps normally found. No sneezing, runny nose, their eyes all looked bright, no change in skin tone either.

Any thoughts as to what this might be?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Good idea keeping the hens seperated. Brownish goop droppings are cecal poop and normal about every 8-10 droppings that they do (smell badly too.) I dont know what you're dealing with, just closely monitor the 2 hens for now and observe anything unusal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by