1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sudden Deaths

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nmurry, Dec 9, 2011.

1. nmurry

nmurry New Egg

Dec 9, 2011
    Hi there. I am new to the forum. Since July I have lost 5 hens and 1 guinea hen to unexplained death. Last week I found Mrs. Peabody, my beautiful guinea hen, dead on the floor of the chicken coop. Everything was fine the night before. Mr. Peabody was heart broken, calling for her. Two days ago, Ruth, a golden laced wynadotte, was quiet and sleepy. Slept in a nest box last night and found her dead when I got home tonight. We have a male peacock that visits occasionally. Any relation? He was here in July and I lost 4 hens unexpectedly. He was here two weeks ago and I lost two. I am heart broken to lose my girls. Anyone have any ideas on what's going on? Everyone here is named and an important part of the family. I don't know what to do. I appreciate any help. Thanks!

2. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    I'm so sorry for your losses. I don't have an answer for you but here's a bump - hoping someone has some advice.

3. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Did they show any symptoms before they died?

4. nmurry

nmurry New Egg

Dec 9, 2011
    One hen and the guinea hen just died suddenly. Hen 1, I found dead when I came home. She was dead on the floor of the chicken house. She was fine in the morning. The guinea hen was fine in the evening roosting in the chicken house and dead on the floor the next morning.

The others who died got quiet and seemed to fail within two days. Have no idea what is going on.

5. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:Any sneezing or other weird behavior?
    When they were dead, did you find them with their stomach facing up?

6. homeschoolchick

homeschoolchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Mechanicsville, MD
    You should contact your state lab. They might come out and test a few or give you some suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by