Sudden difference in sze of Wyandotte chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gvilledh, Jul 10, 2011.

1. gvilledh

gvilledh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    We have nine chicks, eight of which are five weeks old. Our Silkie is 6 weeks old. Last night we noticed that one of the Silver Laced Wyandottes, Lacey, was suddenly quite a bit smaller than the other one (we have two). They have always been the same size until the last couple of days. We have suspected Cagney, the other SLW, to be one of the top hens, along with Buffy one of our Buff Orpingtons. I wasn't sure if that made a difference or not. I had oatmeal for them last night and Lacey seemed to have her normal great appetite. The plan right now is to give her some eggs and some yogurt today and see if it will help her catch back up. Any ideas?

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Some times they go thru a slow growth stage and then catch back up.

Some times, they are just a smaller framed bird and their growth slows compared to a larger framed bird.

A lot of the time we never really know why.

Sorry, I am no real help [​IMG]

3. gvilledh

Jun 8, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    As long as she stays healthy, I'm happy! Trying to get them through the heat the next couple of days is going to be a challenge. Especially since we both work at the office tomorrow. I have volunteered to go at lunch and make sure their water has ice in it and they are okay. At least on Wednesday I am off.
    I gave them scrambled eggs with some oatmeal in the yesterday, and made sure Lacey got more than the rest. They loved them! The last time we had them try them, they could care less about them, but yesterday they thought they were awesome. Cucumbers, not so much!

4. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    We were going to name one of our SLW's Lacey! I guess great namers think alike [​IMG]

5. gvilledh

Jun 8, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    We actually named our pair Cagney and Lacey for the old TV show. It wasn't until a few days later that I realized that Lacey was really appropriate for a Silver LACED Wyandotte! Sometimes the brain doesn't work as fast as it used to!

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

I loved that show!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by