sudden drop

MayhemMarr

Chirping
Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
I have 20 hens my first flock got them this spring, we were up to getting 12 eggs a day AND a duck egg. then today I only got 5??? what gives I am so lost here, Not molting, no signs of predators at all, pretty much the same day light hours I am so lost I was expecting a drop in production this winter but jeesh this seems nuts to me

oh man I hope so, I have one of my boys who is not adjusting to school so well so I was counting on the flock to be a teaching aide lol

they usually free range in the morning and by lunch I have them put up. up till now they all have laid in the barn/coop with no issues. it is very perplexing

a scare is more than possible we have a ton of hawks around here and a pair of foxes, but things have been quiet for a while so I guess I didn't think about a scare plus it is rut season and our Buck is acting all Bucky and like to run threw them and send them all cackling and scattering

a scare is more than possible we have a ton of hawks around here and a pair of foxes, but things have been quiet for a while so I guess I didn't think about a scare plus it is rut season and our Buck is acting all Bucky and like to run threw them and send them all cackling and scattering
That is what happened....I think you possibly just figured out the issue...Hens have a hard time with stress...A fox was my issue...Killed the male but the female still comes around!

Best of luck

How old are the hens? If they're over a year old, it could be the time of year. Everyone talks about production slowing down in the winter, but in my experience they do start to slow down about now, decreasing gradually until they stop completely in the winter.

How old are the hens? If they're over a year old, it could be the time of year. Everyone talks about production slowing down in the winter, but in my experience they do start to slow down about now, decreasing gradually until they stop completely in the winter.

about 6m and one is a mystery age not that old though from what I can tell. but today I got 18 eggs!!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom