sudden drop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MayhemMarr, Sep 12, 2016.

1. MayhemMarr

MayhemMarr Chirping

Sep 2, 2016
    Michigan
    I have 20 hens my first flock got them this spring, we were up to getting 12 eggs a day AND a duck egg. then today I only got 5??? what gives I am so lost here, Not molting, no signs of predators at all, pretty much the same day light hours I am so lost I was expecting a drop in production this winter but jeesh this seems nuts to me

2. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Songster

Same thing happens from time to time in my flock.
    For example, I've been collecting 19 eggs every day.
    Today, there were 13. It happens.
    Things will even out, you'll see!
    Better luck with tomorrow's collection.

1 person likes this.
  3. MayhemMarr

MayhemMarr Chirping

Sep 2, 2016
    Michigan
    oh man I hope so, I have one of my boys who is not adjusting to school so well so I was counting on the flock to be a teaching aide lol

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are you free ranging?
    Egg stealing predators often don't leave a trace.

5. MayhemMarr

MayhemMarr Chirping

Sep 2, 2016
    Michigan
    they usually free range in the morning and by lunch I have them put up. up till now they all have laid in the barn/coop with no issues. it is very perplexing

6. Possibly near moult...Or have they had a scare that the stress shut them down for a week?

7. MayhemMarr

MayhemMarr Chirping

Sep 2, 2016
    Michigan
    a scare is more than possible we have a ton of hawks around here and a pair of foxes, but things have been quiet for a while so I guess I didn't think about a scare plus it is rut season and our Buck is acting all Bucky and like to run threw them and send them all cackling and scattering

8. That is what happened....I think you possibly just figured out the issue...Hens have a hard time with stress...A fox was my issue...Killed the male but the female still comes around!

Best of luck

1 person likes this.
  9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Free Ranging Premium Member

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    How old are the hens? If they're over a year old, it could be the time of year. Everyone talks about production slowing down in the winter, but in my experience they do start to slow down about now, decreasing gradually until they stop completely in the winter.

10. MayhemMarr

MayhemMarr Chirping

Sep 2, 2016
    Michigan
    about 6m and one is a mystery age not that old though from what I can tell. but today I got 18 eggs!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by