1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sudden Duck Death Syndrome

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BirdNerd101, Feb 15, 2015.

1. BirdNerd101

BirdNerd101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    My Coop
    A lady contacted me today about finding a home for a pekin drake who lost his hen a few weeks ago. I was told she was normal all day and then was found on her back dead. She talked to a vet who said it was "sudden duck death syndrome". It has been a few weeks now and he is lonely. I was wondering if he could have a disease and pass it on to my flock if i took him.Any help/ stories are appreciated. Is it worth the risk to take him?
    Thanks
    BirdNerd101

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    No if you get the duck it needs to be examined throughly by a veterinarian, just to be careful.

3. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Um, yeeeah...that vet sounds like a quack to me. No pun intended. There are lots of reasons why a duck will up and die when seeming otherwise normal, but to call it "SDDS" is ridiculous. I doubt it was a communicable disease, although it could have been, if the woman simply didn't know her birds half as well as she thinks she did. I agree that she needs to be autopsied, but considering that it's been a few weeks I doubt that's possible.

If the drake is lonely, and he hasn't shown signs of anything but you're still worried, you have two options: 1) Take him to a vet and get a full spectrum fungal/viral/bacterial screen just to be put at ease, or take the risk and introduce him to your flock. It's not fair to just keep him in by his lonesome when he's obviously majorly stressed out.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. BirdNerd101

Jul 11, 2013
    My Coop
    So i shouldnt take him into my flock?

5. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    I wouldn't go that far. I'm just saying that given the length of time passed, if he looks healthy I'd wager that it wasn't any sort of disease. But a checkup may be in order, perhaps she had fatty liver disease, or her heart gave out (yes, heart attacks can happen in ducks too!) It could even have been predation, it's not unheard of for a predator to snap a bird's neck but get scared off before it's able to take a bite out of its victim.

Either way the poor drake is lonely and afraid, so if you're not going to take it, let the woman know so she can re-home it with someone else ASAP.

6. BirdNerd101

Jul 11, 2013
    My Coop
    Can you check out my most recent thread please! Im really worried @amykins

7. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    I'm afraid you're going to have to be more specific...there are a lot of threads on your profile. This one? The neosporin one? Lyson one? Prolapse one?

8. BirdNerd101

Jul 11, 2013
    My Coop
    The polysporin one

9. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    I think she'll be fine. Just keep an eye on her. Any decision on the pekin drake yet?

10. BirdNerd101

Jul 11, 2013
    My Coop
    Ok thanks, will do. No not yet i will talk to the vet and let the lady know tommorow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by