Sudden egg decrease

hbode

Hatching
Jun 26, 2015
My four girls have been faithfully laying an egg a day. All of a sudden the egg production has all but stopped with only one laying per day. They are not yet a year old and there haven't been any changes...except maybe lots of early warm weather here in Phoenix. I did find one hens eggs out of the coop for a couple days. Could something be taking the eggs? Why would they stop using their nest box?

Do you have snakes in your area? I've heard of snakes taking eggs before.

You could they be hiding their eggs? If you found some outside the coop then they may have a hidden nest they are laying in outside.

It's not uncommon for layers to produce prolifically and then take a brief "time-out". It can last for a week or even a couple months, depending on individuals and breeds.

Aside from that, there are any number of other reasons why hens stop laying. Nutrition, sudden temperature changes, illness, parasites, broodiness, stress, and eggs being deposited in secret places.

You need to investigate all these possibilities, rule them out for the well being of your hens, and then just be patient until they decide to come back off vacation.

Back
Top Bottom