1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sudden frequent tiny eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wol1, May 24, 2016.

1. Wol1

Wol1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2014
    SW Ohio
    We are suddenly getting tiny eggs from someone. We have 9 three-year olds, 11 two-year olds, and 6 eighteen-month olds. All have been laying normal size eggs since reaching egg laying age. Suddenly we are finding a tiny egg almost every day. I've seen threads about the occasional tiny egg, but not sudden daily tiny eggs. Any thoughts?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos?
    Are the eggs "complete" inside (yolk and white) or are they "empty" like a fart/wind egg?

3. Wol1

Feb 28, 2014
    SW Ohio
    No photos yet, but I can take them later today. They look just like regular eggs, but small, about the size of a quail egg. They are about one inch long and 1/2 inch in diameter. We have no bantams or quails. I broke one open yesterday, and it had no yolk. Also saw no bits of flesh, as some have found to cause the problem. The white was very thick, like the descriptions of middle and internal albumin. We've had one-off weird eggs before, which are more curiosities, but this daily tiny egg is worrying. We are trying to keep a close watch on the nest boxes to figure out who's laying them. No one appears ill, and we wormed them last month. No panic here, just a niggling worry that there's a problem brewing that I should take care of before it becomes a crisis.

4. Wol1

Feb 28, 2014
    SW Ohio
    And just as suddenly and mysteriously, they've stopped. [​IMG]

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Interesting.
    Hopefully whatever it was worked itself out.
    Chickens are such a mystery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by