Sudden Goose Death

ChknTndr

Chirping
Mar 4, 2019
MS Gulf Coast
Hey, folks!
My sweet Toulouse goose (Bruce) died unexpectedly yesterday. He wasn't showing any signs of illness and there were no signs of trauma or choking. We found him dead, resting near our 'pond' with his head tucked under his wing. He was about 8 weeks old.
He was my favorite of our 22 birds. He would chase my kids, 'yell' at my husband, but eat from my hand and let me hold him. He was already getting good at what he was supposed to do - guard the flock - and was so silly in the 'pond' splashing around and doing the dive and shake. I'm really going to miss him.
I was hoping someone in this group may have had a similar experience and maybe some answers for me. We also have other birds in the same area and are wondering if we need to take an action or prepare ourselves for the worst. Thanks for your time <3

My condolences on the loss of Bruce. :hugs

While there could be many potential causes for Bruce's death, I was recently reading about a lake that was closed to the public due to the growth of toxic algae - is there any chance of something like that nearby, possibly in the pond?
Thank you.
I didn't notice any algae growing on the pond, but I'm going to have my husband test the water when we get home, today. We pulled a sample yesterday, too, we just didn't have everything we needed to test it. Based on the manner in which he was found and what I'm reading on the internet, I'm leaning towards some sort of aggressive bacterial infection. However, none of the other ducks or chickens who share the same 1/4 acre seem to have be affected. And I would think that being in such close proximity that at least the ducks would be showing symptoms, too. But I guess we will find that out for sure when we get home today. I'm so anxious...

Thank you.
I didn't notice any algae growing on the pond, but I'm going to have my husband test the water when we get home, today. We pulled a sample yesterday, too, we just didn't have everything we needed to test it. Based on the manner in which he was found and what I'm reading on the internet, I'm leaning towards some sort of aggressive bacterial infection. However, none of the other ducks or chickens who share the same 1/4 acre seem to have be affected. And I would think that being in such close proximity that at least the ducks would be showing symptoms, too. But I guess we will find that out for sure when we get home today. I'm so anxious...
I agree that you'd expect to see others affected if it was a cyanotoxin-related death - it's good that you're testing the water.

Is there a state lab you could send Bruce's body to for a necropsy? They could give you a definitive diagnosis.

Back
Top Bottom