Sudden heavy molt and now she's lethargic. What will help?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chick_In_The_Burbs, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Hi all!

Well, two of my ladies already started molting and are taking the slow, drawn out path. I figured Sunny would do the same but oh, no, she had to be different. I walked into the run three days ago and was greated by a sight that reminded me of TV pillow fights. White feathers EVERYWHERE. Sunny looks Terrible. Today when I went out she seemed very lethargic. I brought treats with me like always but she seemed to lack the energy to dive in like she usually does. It was one of her favorites too; a slice of sourdough bread and baby arougala leaves. She'd take a few steps and just lay down and list to one side or the other. She even tried to grab a bite or two but she was so slow that others got each piece, even when I made sure to drop the treats right next to her. It's kinda hot out but she's not normally like this; even with heat. Is there anything I can do to help her energy levels? Should I be worried? Do I need to do something different when they start molting or is this a normal part of it?

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. Willem81

Willem81 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    Thornton, Co
    Extra protein can be good with regrowing the feathers. well cooked scrambled eggs. Did you check for lice or mites?

3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I'll check for the crawlies; it has been a bit since I last checked. And I'll make them some scrambled eggs tonight.

4. swearnsue

swearnsue New Egg

May 7, 2009
    Your post was a few days ago, how is she doing? It doesn't sound normal to me, she is too lethargic. I would try giving her some water with a little sugar in it like we do for tiny chicks that are stressed.

5. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    I'm having a similar issue.
    My hen of about 6 years is going through a molt.
    It was a very fast overnight molt. When i found her in the morning i thought their had been a attack because there were so many feathers!
    Anyway its been like a week now.
    Now shes been eating less, won't come out of her house, her tail is pointing down (only sometimes), she also makes some little crying noises.
    She looks and seems fine other then her molt and weird behavior. Its almost like shes sad...
    I recently introduced her to out new cockerel (who she doesn't like to much right now but doesn't attack him or anything).
    He was quarantined. They have both been tested and cleared on parasites.
    They have both been de-mited and have never had mites.
    Are cockerel doesn't bother her and pretty much stays clear of her when she warns him of coming to close (she will puff up and give him the stink eye).
    Is her behavior normal (not wanting to come out of her house, acting sad, sitting alot?)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by