sudden huge egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by floridaladyhannah, Dec 20, 2007.

1. floridaladyhannah

floridaladyhannah New Egg

May 29, 2007
    my Rhode Island Red Sadie has all of a sudden laid an egg more than twice the size of her usuals. Now she has stopped laying altogether??? Actually, this has happened twice before, and then the chickens died. My husband thinks they were too fat and had a heart attack. Could it be from some sort of egg constipation? (I am fairly new at this, as you can see)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Is it possible she is going through a molt!?? My RIR are just finishing thiers, FINALLY! They quit laying back around the end of October. Yesterday, got 4 from 10 hens.

3. floridaladyhannah

floridaladyhannah New Egg

May 29, 2007
    Thank you so much for your reply. This is the very first time I have written anything on any forum anywhere!!!

I just hope, my Sadie won't die.; she is not even a year old.

Another one of mine (I have three) Sarah, an Auracana, has not laid anything for the last 3 months. How long does a molt last?

4. EggCentric

EggCentric Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Ball Ground, Ga
    My RIR hen started laying huge eggs all of a sudden, but after a couple of weeks, she stopped laying for awhile and now lays normal sized eggs. I'd just keep an eye on her.

5. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Quote:Yes, I believe they call the egg constipation egg-bound. Put it in the search on our forums, if one gets stuck, it can be lethal.

Good luck to you AND your hen.

6. Floridaladyhann

Floridaladyhann Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    This is floridaladyhannah. Who are you? I have never written the above post

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by