Sudden hurt leg/can't walk on it

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sookiesmom, Oct 26, 2014.

1. sookiesmom

sookiesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Ocean County, NJ
    I literally just had my 2 silkie girls out to munch on weeds & grass. Starting to get dark so was heading to the coop. All of the sudden Pippie, who is about 5 maybe, made a quick sound as if she was scared of something. I turn around to see her hobbling and start to lay down. I picked her up and saw her left leg was ok with her claw responding. Her right leg is not responding at all. I don't know what to do. I placed her in the nesting box. She tried to get up & walk but she could only drag her right foot. And her beak was open to breathe, I'm guessing because she's in pain.
    Any help is soooooo much appreciated!!!!!! I don't know a whole lot about chickens other than what I learn from you fine people & that I love them.

Thank you,
    Natasha

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about your hen. How long have you had them? Do you know if she had a Mareks vaccine as a day old chick? It almost sounds as if she has either broken the leg with nerve involvement, or that she has suffered a stoke. Is she able to move both wings? Mareks disease could be possible if you have only had her a few weeks or months, or have recently added another bird who was a carrier. But since this was so sudden, I would think it either a break or a stroke. Place her in a crate with food and water nearby, but close enough to reach. You can give her an 81mg Low Dose or Baby Aspirin twice a day for pain. I hope she feels better soon. If there should be any paralysis in the other leg, let us know, since that could mean botulism or some other poisoning.

3. sookiesmom

Mar 14, 2010
    Ocean County, NJ
    Thank you Eggcessive so for taking the time to write. I just checked on her. She's laying down slightly to one side to stay off the bad leg. She seems to be moving around fine other than that. When I tried to touch her wings she got a little upset. I'm guessing she doesn't want to be moved. And she's talking a lot. I got her about 5 years ago from a farm. The other hen has been with her since she was born here, about 2 years. So no new hens & I haven't been to any farms.

I'll google it but I always wondered how to give them pills. I'm in NJ & not sure if I should bring her in. I do have to work & want to make sure she's as comfortable as possible. I can run out right now for baby aspirin if you think it will help.

I can't thank you enough!

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome. With a pill the size of a baby aspirin (or you can use 1/4 of an adult aspirin,) you just want to place it in the back of the throat, and they should swallow it. If not, you could put it in bread cubes, a little yogurt, or even a grape. Some dissolve aspirin in water, but that is difficult to measure exactly. If she can be in with the other for company, it might be good, but you wouldn't want the other one to pick on her. Inside would be good for at least the first night.

5. sookiesmom

Mar 14, 2010
    Ocean County, NJ
    Thanks I'm gonna get the baby aspirin. They love warm plain oatmeal so that might be the trick. So from what you heard do you think her leg is just hurt? Or does it still sound like a stroke?

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'v never experienced this, but if it were a stroke, I believe her whole side would be affected--wing and leg. So if she is moving the wings, I would suspect she broke or did something to the leg that affected the nerves to paralyze it. Hopefully it will get better.

7. sookiesmom

Mar 14, 2010
    Ocean County, NJ
    You guys really are the best!!!!!!! Always giving a helping hand. Whenever something goes wrong, which is rarely, I always know I can count on this forum for advice, support & love.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by