Sudden increase In EGG Production

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by doublejfarm, Jul 22, 2011.

1. doublejfarm

doublejfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    I have four hens that are mature layers. And I usually get two eggs a day and sometimes only one. For the last three days in a row though, I have gotten three eggs a day. The only thing that is different is there feed. I went from the cheapest I could find ( the local feed store's blended there house brand.) To Dumor cause it has a pretty bag. I did this on Saturday. Foul the be theanswer to my increase? Or is it just a coincidence?

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

doublejfarm,

From what I hear there is a direct correlation between the feed consumption and the egg production. It sounds like your situation lends credence to that premise. I suppose that it would have to continue for awhile to really be more than a blip, though, wouldn't it?

Which feed did you buy? I was in TSC today, and I saw a bag of feed I was considering buying, but then I saw it was medicated, so I didn't buy it...it was a dumor brand, but I beleive that Dumor is made by Purina Mills. Anyway the bag I was looking at today had both Dumor and the Purina checkerboard. I need another bag soon...and I am not sure that they are fond of the one they presently have.

At anyrate---congrats on the increase in egg production.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  3. doublejfarm

doublejfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    I got Dumor layer pellets. Didn't know that was made by Purina. I was torn between the Purina Layena and the Dumor at TSC. The Layena was a few dollars more and the analysis card was the same on both. I like the poly woven feed sacks. My mom makes grocery bags out of them. The feed store feed. Is ten per 50# and Dumor is 13. Layena is like 15. Ill pay the three extra $ to get an extra egg a day but if the feed isn't the reason then why waste the money? Time will tell

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Thanks for the info.

The one I was looking at was something like 24% protein, and it was for show birds--higher protein for better feathers, I guess, but the sack was pretty. ;O)

So the pellets are 16% protein right? I had layena pellets and one of my 'piggies' billed them out on the ground. I thought it was the chicken, but later I read some things that made me think it may have been the pellets. And the TSC I was visiting today didn't even have any choice, and no purina. ---

I'm still in learning mode here, so I appreciate your details. I am going to subscribe to this post---- If you do have a rise in egg production (especially in this heat) and everything else has stayed the same with the feed being the variable, then I would look at the feed as the cause. If the higher production does keep up, please confirm that they are doing so well in a future post.

I bet your mom's grocery bags are pretty interesting, and they are doubly ecologically sound.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by