sudden lames in serama rooster

laurelwood

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 17, 2014
my serama rooster suddenly began lame yesterday, his tail feathers are dropping and he walks like he is drunk. He was fine yesteday morning crowing and running around but not since noon yesterday. Sits rather listless. Any ideas on what is wrong?

His symptoms, to me, sound similar to Botulism. Here are some links on it:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism
http://beautyofbirds.com/botulism.html
http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-help/Botulism-Overview-H267.aspx

I'd give him a molasses flush. Mix four tablespoons of molasses into one quart of water. Give this mixture to him for twenty-four hours. The purpose of this "flush" is to remove the possible poisons from his system.

Best wishes to you and your rooster.

my serama rooster suddenly began lame yesterday, his tail feathers are dropping and he walks like he is drunk. He was fine yesteday morning crowing and running around but not since noon yesterday. Sits rather listless. Any ideas on what is wrong?
Welcome to BYC. Does he free range or is he kept confined to a run? Could he be dehydrated? Is he eating and drinking? Any diarrhea and how old is he? Does he sit on his hocks or elbows? Mareks disease, botulism, or a vitamin deficiency could be a problem. Dehydration from the heat also could be a problem. Dehydration is best treated with electrolytes in the water. I would at least start some poultry vitamins, and give him some scrambled egg if he is not eating well.

thanks I will try. He made of got some homecanned green beans. I just got him 1 week ago, the other hen and rooster are doing fine and they have been all together in same pen

thanks I will try. He made of got some homecanned green beans. I just got him 1 week ago, the other hen and rooster are doing fine and they have been all together in same pen
If he is on new soil, or around new birds, then coccidiosis could be a problem. It can cause weakness, lethargy, wanting to lie down, diarrhea, and poor appetite. Treatment for that is Corid (amprollium) for 5-7 days.

Last edited:
I have been giving him the molasses mix, but have not been able to get a lot into him, he is so small . He perked up after giving him the mix yesterday. Today after giving him 15 ml his head is drooping more.. He has been in a large pen with lots of room to run. Should I try to keep getting this in to him? He does eat watermelon and I have giving him as much as he will eat, but seem to have a hard time focusing on it, but does eat it all. The other 2 seramas I have are doing well. I have brought him into the house in box so I can keep a closer eye on him

Stop the molasses. It can dehydrate him by giving him diarrhea, and he sounds very weak. I would give him fluids to rehydrate him. Botulism would have possibility if he free ranges, but since he is in a pen, that could not be the problem. I really would recommend that you treat him for coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium) or dehydration with electrolytes. Did you read the symptoms for coccidiosis? When exposed to a new strain of cocci from other birds or on new soil, andy age bird can get it. Are you in the US, because there are other medications in other countries for cocci.

Back
Top Bottom