Sudden leg paralysis Merarks?

Jessica1228

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
Michigan
Sudden and sickness strikes again! Uh it's always somthing. Poofett was fine Sunday morning. When we went to close the coop at night she was a little off balance. By the end of the night her left leg was stiff and extended in front of her. Now the other leg seems to be giving out. She is eating and loving the indoor warm attention. Everything else is fine. In fact I’d say she’s even perkier than ever. I’m at a loss of what could have happened so suddenly. The temp did drop 50+ degrees in the last few days and it’s been very stormy. Could this be weather related or a late onset of the M word? I thought the M-word was more common in chicks...

1) What type of bird , age and weight: polish (banti) 4 yesrs, normal weight (est 1-2 lbs?)
2) What is the behavior, exactly: off balance, stiff leg extended in front, slight wing droop, possibly effecting other leg
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms: 2 days 5 hours
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms: no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma: no, leg bones feel fine, no swelling
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation: possible fall or temp drop
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all: corn mash, vita-feed, spinach, yogurt, bread, tomatos, pediasure
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc: normal, no worms/eggs, possible a little firm
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far: Moved her inside, extra food & water. Looking into meds
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? Do-it-yourself as much as possible. Vet if necessary
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use: usualy straw & shavings. On paper now

Back
Top Bottom