sudden leg weakness in young rooster.. HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladrholman, Mar 16, 2012.

1. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    I went out to shut my birds up for the night yesterday and was alarmed to find one had died and then found my young roo was weak in his legs. I had not seen them the day before... but my husband said they were all out running around. The one who died was an older Andalusian.... I opened her up and found her abdominal cavity full of yellow liquid... She had not started laying again, but noted her pelvis had spread and she had been setting in the boxes the last week... I am guessing the cause was an internal laying as she was otherwise a healthy and fit bird..... I then found my young roo Rocky ( raised him from a 2 week old chick after his mother died) ... setting in a box (where he usually sleeps) but he had not gotten up to greet me as he usually does..... courts me sometimes too.... Rocky is about 5 months old and has been growing like a weed.. his dad is a big Buff orpington... he has always been unsteady on his feet and long legs, but yesterday he was actually weak and very unstable. Noted poop at bum feathers. I brought him inside and cleaned him up. He ate lots and drank some. As a note I noted that there was a spot of blood on his comb and a bit on his feathers. Thought he might have had a scuffle and got injured... This morning he was still in his box and did not seem to be able to get up. Noted poop on bum, but if laying this may be from that... He was happy to eat and drink some more. Resettled into box. I have given him water with some "stress aid" - salts to help in illness and a broad spectrum antibiotic incase of illness ... He will get up on his legs but it seems a challenge. there are no local vets for help. I need to deal with this myself but am hoping the folks on the forum may have some advise. Things have been going very well over the winter.... spring is getting here and they have been out exploring a lot more on warmer days...... the rest of my girls/ roo appear fine.... HELP.

PS. I have not added any hens to my flock since the first of the fall last year.... so 6 months likely!! And his weakness seems to be on both sides.. not just one.... Reading some on Mareks....

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    The first pic is Rocky on Jan 18th this year and the last pic is him this morning....

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

When was he last wormed? With what? Could he have gotten injured or gotten into moldy food?

4. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    He was wormed in the fall. With the only available option around here (NS)... Piperizine.... I was thinking a possible injury as he has always been very clumsy and skittish of the others... and the blood on his head/comb.... I don't think so on moldy food... but who knows what they may have found around the yard.... was nice here earlier in week and they were roaming..... any other suggestions for treatment??

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Do you have any paste horse workers? Like Safeguard? That would be what I'd give him. It is Fenabendazole. I would also give vitamins in his water and vitamin e if you think it may be injury. Keep him still, keep him warm and food near. If he has trouble aiming with his head and keeps his it down... It may be a toxin. Also Mareks is a possibility if it keeps developing.

6. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    I can check the feed store... horse wormer.... how much would I give him?? I will add some vitamens to the water... He seems to have good aim.. eating and drinking without problem and looking around interested... though I can tell he is not feeling himself. Appears frustrated with the weakness.... as he has been growing so fast... stupid question...ut could he be growing faster then his legs can support..... He is all legs and all.....

7. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Just check on him .... laying in the box. Head in the corner .... will look at me but then will turn and close eyes and rest.... does not look like he is feelng well.... oh.... this is sad.... hand raised him... he lived in one of the bedrooms for a month.... then greenhouse then outside.. such a gentle boy.... any other help... Please....

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Of the Safeguard paste you would give a pea sized dollop in his mouth once, for three days. Try to keep him eating and drinking. Scrambled eggs can tempt them to eat. Gatoraid in water is helpful. I often use parrot hand feeding formula, as it has lots of good stuff in it and is easy to digest.

9. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    he is still eating and drinking. I could not find Fenbendazole... they had Ivermectin, oxibendazole and another one that started with a p.... I will contact the vets tomorrow to see if they have the fenbendazole. He gets to his feet some, but is unsteady... sorta like he is drunk... wobbles... I have another hen to deal with too.... I think Egg bound... will post another one....

10. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    MORE HELP-Rocky made another night. pasty stool.... white/green ib bum feathers. with a bit of help he gets to feet and walks around.. still unsteady though... he manages to get around his pen. got back to his box on own.... still eating and drinking. any thoughts????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by