Sudden Limp, Marek's fears

NinaJoy

Chirping
Dec 18, 2020
Hello all,
We have had a run in with Marek's (I think). I never paid for any testing but the first chicks I ever bought were local and unvaccinated (I didn't know better), and all but one developed a Limp then quickly went downhill and died. All signs pointed to Marek's.
Though, one chick lived and is a great layer.
I started over and only bought from a store where they're vaccinated.
I now have 4 pullets, 6 months old and one started limping today.
I now have her separated and I'm freaking out. I know vaccines aren't 100% and I'm hoping this Limp is just an injury but it looks all too familiar. No signs of trauma, no apparent broken bones....
Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.

Hello all,
We have had a run in with Marek's (I think). I never paid for any testing but the first chicks I ever bought were local and unvaccinated (I didn't know better), and all but one developed a Limp then quickly went downhill and died. All signs pointed to Marek's.
Though, one chick lived and is a great layer.
I started over and only bought from a store where they're vaccinated.
I now have 4 pullets, 6 months old and one started limping today.
I now have her separated and I'm freaking out. I know vaccines aren't 100% and I'm hoping this Limp is just an injury but it looks all too familiar. No signs of trauma, no apparent broken bones....
Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.
Just curious did you super duper clean your coop. Are your new chicks in will your lone survivor? I think Marek's stay in your flock. The one who is still there might be a carrier. Hopefully someone will come along and confirm me. Or not. Good luck.

I can see that happening. Hopefully it's just an injury and she'll shake it off. Shes standing and moving around, eating and drinking. With the chicks from the past they limped for a day then stopped walking all together.

Back
Top Bottom