Sudden Neurological disorder

L&Schickens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Washington State
I have a 2 1/2 month old black copper Marans pullet, (one of only 4 out of 14 chicks
roll.png
) and she has suddenly developed what looks like a neurological disorder and has been like this for 5 days now. She can't stand, can't walk, can't hold her self up at all and she can only eat and drink with my assistance. She shoves her beak in the feed and fills it up as much as possble then raises her head like she would if she were drinking. She also has problems controlling where her head goes. I have her in the house now for 3 days and she seems more lively, but is not improved with her motor skills. She also has curled toes so I was not going to use her as a breeder, but would have liked to have some eggs out of her for eating eggs. Could hse have a genetic disease? Or maybe she was just injured by the other chicks jumping on her the way they do when I open the brooder door? Should I continue trying or put her out of her missery?

Last edited:
If it is neurological, there are some vitamins you can try to boost neurological function. Selenium + vit E is a standard combo. Also ginko biloba.

Back
Top Bottom