1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sudden Ringneck Pheasant chick death- need help finding cause

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by burgerpants, May 31, 2016.

1. burgerpants

burgerpants New Egg

May 31, 2016
    Hello BYC, I am in need of help with finding out the cause of death of one of my four ringneck pheasant chicks, which passed on this morning. I last saw it alive around 6:00-6:30 am this morning, looking and acting just fine. I then slept for about another three hours and woke up to see a chick on its side, dead and already stiff. The chicks are probably a few days old, the dead one has its eyes partially open and its legs are extended away from its body; if it were picked up by the neck the legs would be pointing towards the ground.

I would really appreciate it if someone had any information on possible cause of death. I keep them in a pen under a heat lamp and the chicks are not gathering under the lamp all the time or trying to get away from it all the time, so I don't think the death was due to temperature extremes. I have checked the first couple pages of pheasant-related threads and found nothing. I would like to determine cause of death ASAP becausef if it was a disease, the other chicks may be in danger and I may have to take them to a vet. Also please let me know if I need to give more info or clarify anything, if that would help anyone figure out what happened to it. Thanks everyone

2. burgerpants

burgerpants New Egg

May 31, 2016
    EDIT: It seems I have made a mistake describing the body. When looking at it, the body appeared to be stiff; however, upon closer examination, the body seems to not be completely stiff yet.

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Is it possible it jumped and hit his/her head on the top of the brooder,and broke it's neck?
    In N.H.,Tony.

4. 007Sean

007Sean Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Sorry for your loss. Was the chick under the heat lamp when you found it? The reason i ask, is because i've had chicks that would lay directly under the lamp and not move, then it was too late and got heat stroke. I 've saved 2 this season already from them laying there until heat stroke set in. It's kinda rare but does happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by