Sudden unwarranted aggression towards eachother

Discussion in 'Quail' started by wayward, Mar 8, 2014.

1. wayward

wayward Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2013
    Maybe not completely "unwarranted" do to their condition. Out of my initial two quail broods, a series of unfortunate events left me with three boys and only one surviving female. Their genders hadn't been immediately apparent because of one quail being a golden-white color was very difficult to identify. We've managed to identify that one as a male based on behavior, and he had shown some aggression towards his cage-mates but this was quickly settled by splitting the cage into two sections. I went out this morning to find his head bright and shining red with many missing feathers. He's been moved into the house in a small cage. A few hours later I decided to examine the others, to find the only female is also losing feathers on her head. I don't know if this was from the golden quail I had removed, or if one of the other boys had been doing it. I noticed she was all the way across the cage from the boys, so I removed her just to be safe. The two remaining boys seem to be getting along fine (they're pretty much inseparable, always have been).

I feel like its probably the obvious answer, two many males feeling the onset of spring and the mating season. What I want to know is if I can break up this behavior somehow. I've considered obtaining more females to remove the sense of competition, but I don't want them being aggressive to them for being new. Also, why is the one female being attacked? It doesn't just look like mating wear-and-tear. I think the stress is causing all of them to fight, regardless.

2. Ratio is important. 5 to 1 is good for cots.

Space is important as well. In a covey with multiple males you may want to go with 2 sf per bird or more if you have the room.

Blend them into completely new surroundings simultaneously.

Keep a bachelors quarters ready for stuff like this.

3. wayward

wayward Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2013

As I've said, due to unfortunate circumstances, the ratio is bad. Space is actually not an issue given the small number. But if I can get some new females, blending them together into new surroundings sounds like the way to go. Thank you very much.

4. 1000yearoldeggs

1000yearoldeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    western pa
    I had the same problem, I hatched only one female and the rest males, I had to separate the female for them to calm down. Just separate until you can get more hens, really that's all you can do to avoid the aggression. I didn't have any luck keeping more than one male with females, but good luck to you.

The males were too much for me to handle, so I sold them. Hopefully you have nicer males than I did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by