Sudden violent death

TheSpeckledRoo

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 10, 2012
Michigan
A couple weeks ago i started loosing my 10 week old chicks. I walked into my coup one day and seen one laying on it's back dead. There was no evidence of foul play.

The very next day i had walked out to my coup, there I had found two more chicks dead. One was on it's back, the other on its side. Quickly i cleaned out all the litter inside the coup and replaced it with new litter.

Until today no other chickens were effected. I thought i was safe. I noticed earlier today that one of my buff orps (a little over a year old) had a darkening comb. The chicken was slightly lethargic.

Later in the day I saw the same chicken laying down in a awkward spot. I watched as her head drooped like she was trying to sleep. Immediately I grabbed her and put her in isolation. She didn't even bother to fight (which is very weird). I gave her sugar water to try to give her some energy, but as i was walking back inside she started violently flying around her isolation cage. I could tell she was in pain so I ran back inside to grab the gun to put her down. When i reached the isolation area, I found the hen on her back and vomit near her head. She was dead.

Can anyone please tell me what disease this is?

A couple weeks ago i started loosing my 10 week old chicks. I walked into my coup one day and seen one laying on it's back dead. There was no evidence of foul play.

The very next day i had walked out to my coup, there I had found two more chicks dead. One was on it's back, the other on its side. Quickly i cleaned out all the litter inside the coup and replaced it with new litter.

Until today no other chickens were effected. I thought i was safe. I noticed earlier today that one of my buff orps (a little over a year old) had a darkening comb. The chicken was slightly lethargic.

Later in the day I saw the same chicken laying down in a awkward spot. I watched as her head drooped like she was trying to sleep. Immediately I grabbed her and put her in isolation. She didn't even bother to fight (which is very weird). I gave her sugar water to try to give her some energy, but as i was walking back inside she started violently flying around her isolation cage. I could tell she was in pain so I ran back inside to grab the gun to put her down. When i reached the isolation area, I found the hen on her back and vomit near her head. She was dead.

Can anyone please tell me what disease this is?
Look up info on Coccidiosis. Some symptoms are runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood)fluffed feathers,lethargic. If symptoms fit,purchase Corid(amprolium) Dosage for Corid powder is 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. Dosage for Corid liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,treat all chicks for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment(interferes with medication)give vitamins after treatment. Coccidiosis is very treatable,within 24 hours chickens start to feel better,so no need to put them down. Coccidiosis is very,very common for chickens to have,it is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,sometimes it just gets out of hand.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom