Sudden weight loss

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by addictedtochx, Nov 22, 2016.

1. addictedtochx

addictedtochx New Egg

May 17, 2014
    [​IMG]I have a 4 year old hen who I picked up today and she is just a back of feathery bones. My flick is 12 hens, all different breeeds and ages. She is walking around and I see her pushing food around but not really eating.
    This has happened to 2 other hens in the last 2 years and I didn't see it until it was too late. I found them when they could barely walk and wouldn't drink. They both died within 24 hours. I'm praying with your help I can save Ella Fitzgerald. She's one of my original hens and I love her dearly. Please advise

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    @casportpony

double check things down this list
    [​IMG]

ALSO what score is she on chart below
    [​IMG]

3. addictedtochx

addictedtochx New Egg

May 17, 2014
    Not eating or drinking
    Body condition score 1
    Avoids the rest of the flock
    Feces photo attached - I cleaned this off her bum[​IMG]
    Not sure if food/water consumption to this point- just returned from 2 week holiday
    She looks perfectly healthy. I never would have know there was an issue had I not picked her up. She literally checks out perfectly on this list with the exception of above.
    I've moved her into the house with water and chx porridge so I can monitor her.
    Really want to save her life
    I'm also curious about potential of a spider bite. This was found near the coop
    [​IMG]
    One last thing.. my husband just showed me this ... a buckle sized poop that looks spongy like a piece of termite eaten wood. It was in the coop
    [​IMG]

4. addictedtochx

addictedtochx New Egg

May 17, 2014
    Oops.. here's the spider [​IMG]

5. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Have you wormed her lately? checked her for mites or lice?

she wont eat scrambled egg yolk either? you have electrolytes in her water, is she drinking?

No blood in stool, her crop feels ok? not impacted?

I would give electrolytes, definitely probiotics, and egg yolk scrambled.

Not sure what else to tell you unless you have any antibiotics, or you havent wormed perhaps you should worm.

6. addictedtochx

addictedtochx New Egg

May 17, 2014
    No mites or lice, have not wormed her so I'll do that today. She is eating now and her poop is solid but still green.
    What would her crop feel like if it was impacted? It feels full and like a bag of course sand. I'll go by the feed store this morning and see what I can find out there as well,

Thanks so much for all your help. I'm feeling like I have been successful purely on dumb luck the last 4 years of raising chickens. Ugh

7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by