Suddenly 3 dead 10 week old pullets !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by captokey, May 19, 2011.

1. captokey

captokey New Egg

Apr 3, 2011
    After 10 trouble free weeks with these birds, this am I found 3 dead birds practically under the roost. The only thing that has changed recently was the addition of two bags of coarse pine shavings added to the floor day before yesterday. These birds showed no injuries other thean feathers pulled which I assume the other chickens did to the corpses. They were raised for over 5 weeks on shavings without problem, so I assumed it wouldn't be a problem now. They are on TSC chick starter, plus they get a couple cups of scratch grain per day. I've added some tetracycline to the water as a precaution. Anyone else have a comment or idea?

2. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Oh, that's terrible. I'm so sorry. I have to say that this is the sort of story that keeps me awake at night. I hope you get answers here that can allow you to rest easy!

3. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    I am sorry for your loss. I dont have any explanation or reasoning but just wanted to say I am sorry for your loss.

4. tbarbee

tbarbee New Egg

Sep 12, 2010
    Same thing is happening to me and there aboutthe same age and mine don't show trouble breathing they jay get lethargic and die quick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by