Suddenly, 5 more hens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by msv5, Mar 11, 2013.

1. msv5

msv5 New Egg

Jun 15, 2012
    Dowagiac, MI
    The phone rings, its my buddy from the other side of the county. "I have five RR hens I have to give away, can you take them?" "Sure, I'll take them"

Just like that, I now have 13 layers instead of 8. The sudden thought of over crowding hits, and I wonder what this is going to do to my cozy little flock.

I have a very large garage, (40 x 30) concrete floor throughout. Inside the garage is a small room that I built my 7 x 6 coop in. It seems to have worked quite well for the 8 hens. Well ventilated, well lit during the day, and going by the advice I read here, unheated. I cut a square hole to the outside, put in a sliding, up and down door to allow the hens into a 12 x 12 outside enclosure. The 8 hens appeared to be quite happy and content with the space allotted.

My question is... how much bigger am I going to have to make the coop and enclosure for 13 hens? I might add a few more hens this spring, totaling 15-16. Also, how soon does this need to be done?

Thanks -Mark

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by