Suddenly A Green Egg - Eh??

Sunnyducks

Chirping
May 1, 2016
Hello, wondering what your thoughts are on whether this is unusual or just a regular kind of thing. My duck didn't lay for some weeks after I bought my pair (supposed to be KC, but everyone seems to be of one mind that they aren't, might be a mix including WH, though the ducklings look curiously like KCs). When she started laying for me, she laid white 59g eggs. For the last month the egg size has increased to 63g but remains white. She's only missed 5 days in several months. The last two days she didn't lay, but this morning she presented me with an egg that is small and almost green! I've not had laying ducks before so maybe this is just normal? Thank you in advance.

Puzzling indeed. Out of curiosity I dug into some old thread where people say one chicken (didn't find anything on ducks) layed different colored eggs. Here is one of those threads https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/793038/same-chicken-laying-different-colored-eggs-pic
Seems to be more like different shades than colors, whereas yours went from white to green. I found another thread on the same topic with the replies saying there had to be more than one chicken involved. So?? Beats me. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom