Suddenly a HUGE comb!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wildsky, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    OK, one of my Ideal specials (wanted a California white) has SUDDENLY sprouted a HUGE comb, it was very tiny and almost overnight it SHOT up at least half an inch! I mean it can flop around it grew so much!

Does this mean an EGG soon?

I have two of these girls and the one still has a tiny little comb....

They were all born in the first week of August - so they're what .... around 19 weeks old this week!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  2. karmical

karmical Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2007
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    Let's see a pic!!!

Edited to say: None of mine have combs that flop....but I know what you mean about "sprouting" overnight. Amazing how you're with them every day and then something just POPS like that!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] perhaps tomorrow I can get one, if she stands still long enough, she's seriously competing with the ROOSTER for size of comb!

4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I have two RIRs. One, Peggy, developed a comb like that.. suddenly. It is so big it tries to flop a bit. Her sister RIR, 'Arold, still has a much smaller comb.

Peggy was my first girl to lay an egg out of my 10. I had read somewhere (maybe an old wives' tale?) that girls with big, floppy combs are terrific layers. [​IMG]

Regardless, should be eggs soon!

Meghan

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    So...... must be some sign of going to lay...!!
    I found two lovely white eggs today.... I believe from this girl with her flopsy comb!

She was laying on the floor of the coop! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by