Suddenly a HUGE comb!

Wildsky

Wild Egg!
12 Years
Oct 13, 2007
California
OK, one of my Ideal specials (wanted a California white) has SUDDENLY sprouted a HUGE comb, it was very tiny and almost overnight it SHOT up at least half an inch! I mean it can flop around it grew so much!

Does this mean an EGG soon?

I have two of these girls and the one still has a tiny little comb....

They were all born in the first week of August - so they're what .... around 19 weeks old this week!

Last edited:
Let's see a pic!!!

Edited to say: None of mine have combs that flop....but I know what you mean about "sprouting" overnight. Amazing how you're with them every day and then something just POPS like that!

Last edited:
hmm.png
perhaps tomorrow I can get one, if she stands still long enough, she's seriously competing with the ROOSTER for size of comb!

I have two RIRs. One, Peggy, developed a comb like that.. suddenly. It is so big it tries to flop a bit. Her sister RIR, 'Arold, still has a much smaller comb.

Peggy was my first girl to lay an egg out of my 10. I had read somewhere (maybe an old wives' tale?) that girls with big, floppy combs are terrific layers.
idunno.gif

Regardless, should be eggs soon!

Meghan

So...... must be some sign of going to lay...!!
I found two lovely white eggs today.... I believe from this girl with her flopsy comb!

She was laying on the floor of the coop!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom