Suddenly broody/nasty hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zipschick, Mar 27, 2009.

1. zipschick

zipschick New Egg

Mar 27, 2009
    My shaver red of the last year has suddenly gone very broody. She's always been very sweet and outgoing. I went away on vacation for 2 weeks and when I got back my fiance told me he couldn't get the eggs anymore b/c she was always on them and wouldn't let him near her. I went in yesterday and she puffed all up and growled at me ( that's the only way I could describe the noise). She let me touch her and stroke her and I finally picked her up and put her outside. She seemed fine with it. When my fiance tried to move her away to get the eggs, she pecked violently at him and hurt him. She never pecked at me, but I am mom, have been since she was a few days old. Any ideas as to why she would suddenly become this way or how my other half can get the eggs from her?[​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Broody birds can be very protective of their potential young. I think you only got away with it because you ARE mom.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    And give her some eggs to incubate! [​IMG]

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I think I may be having the same problem. I was about to search posts when I read this. My rir has been on the nest all day, I think since at least last night when I went in for eggs, she was sitting so I waited till today. She was still sitting and doing that growling/clucking thing. She let me get her eggs, she was on 5 but stayed on the nest, that was this morning and I just checked again and she's still but in the opposite nest. She was in the favorite box and I think they gave her grief, Ive heard this before, so she moved over. I took all the eggs. I also spotted some very large poo's in the run. That also made me wonder if she was sitting. If she is I will gladly give her some eggs but I need to find some "how to handle a broody hen" info real quick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by