Suddenly can't stand or move, in pain

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mavrik, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Mavrik

Mavrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    I have a 6 year old EE that all of a sudden can't stand or move, just yesterday she was perky. Her eyes are dilated and she sounds like she is in real pain. Physically she looks fine.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    IT could be a spinal or neck injury, or something internal going on. So hard to tell. Sometimes a chicken can have a stroke or a heart attack too. You could just make her comfortable and warm by putting her in a box on some nice clean straw, away from any other birds that might peck at her.

Then you could keep your eye on her to see if she shows any improvement. Maybe see if she can take some liquids with a dropper. Or if you feel she's in pain, then it might be the humane thing to put her down......

3. Mavrik

Jun 15, 2011
    She eats, drinks and poops normal. She is alert like normal. She is just unable to stand and/or use her legs.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Please show picture of how bird is laying.

5. Mavrik

Jun 15, 2011
  6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I'm wondering if she's had a stroke then, since she's eating and drinking fine......A friend of mine actually had a hen with these same symptoms, and she babied that hen for weeks. It did recover.

Sharon

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Consider Mareks disease as another possibility. Toxins in diet most likely would affect all birds consuming it.

8. Mavrik

Jun 15, 2011
    My crew open free ranges and can get into different things, I don't expect the poisoning from their layer feed, there is however areas of rotting organics where they can get molds from. Since she is my oldest bird (and "old"), her immune system may be weaker than the others. This is why I am suspecting mycotoxins.

I'm just having issues finding a treatment for the bird itself, if there is one.

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

If you do not know cause of condition, then treatment can be ineffective or worse.

Please show picture of how legs are positioned on affected bird. Also head showing eyes.

10. Mavrik

Jun 15, 2011
    I realize that this is all speculative, but between Mareks and mold poisoning, mold poisoning is probably treatable and more likely.

I'm unable to take and upload pictures at this time. She is sitting like she would at night on a roost. Her eyes are round as normal. She stands up once in a while for 2-3 seconds. I do regular physical inspections on my crew.

I just noticed a second sitting position, kinda leaning back on her hocks.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by