1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Suddenly Chickens won't go in coop at night - because of snow?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kristen616, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Kristen616

Kristen616 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2013
    Since the snow started flying in Upstate NY, my chickens refuse to go in the coop at night. it's the most bizarre thing. We got them as chicks this past spring, they have done great all summer/fall and always go in their coop at dusk. Ever since it started getting super cold and snowy they act like their confused or something. They huddle UNDER the coop looking around and acting confused. For the last week my husband and I have had to go out in the pitch black to physically put them back in their coop at night.

I've put a light in their coop so they could see, I've kept the light off as well. I've even tried putting treats in their coop. Sometimes a few will go in but there is always one or two that don't. But sure enough IF they decide to go outside during the day, someone won't come in at night.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is there anything else I can do? Not going to lie - this is getting old. I'm not a fan of going out in the pitch black putting them in the coop (and I'm 6 months pregnant) every night. please tell me it won't be like this all winter!

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    You might try locking them in the coop for a week to re-orient them on the importance of home.

Chris

3. Kristen616

Kristen616 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2013
    thank you! I will give it a shot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by